Blog — Knowledge
How to Start a YouTube Channel for Beginners & How to Monetise
If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you want to start a YouTube channel. And that’s great! YouTube is a powerful platform for building an audience and monetising your content. In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to start creating a successful youtube channel and start earning money.
We’ll cover the basics of starting a new youtube channel, as well as some tips on how to produce high-quality content that will engage your audience. Let’s get started!
How do YouTubers make money?
There are a few different ways that YouTubers monetise their channels. The most common is through advertising revenue, which is money earned from displaying YouTube ads on the video content.
You can also earn money through sponsorships, partnerships, and product placements. And of course, you can sell your own products and services through your channel.
How do I start a YouTube channel and get paid?
To start a YouTube channel, you’ll need two things: content and an audience.
The first step is to create videos that you know people will want to watch. This can be anything from how-to videos and vlogs to product reviews and comedy sketches.
Once you have a few videos, it’s time to start building an audience. The best way to do this is by promoting your channel on social media and other online platforms. You can also run ads on Google and YouTube to reach a wider audience.
What skills do I need to start a youtube channel?
You don’t need any specific skills to start a YouTube channel. However, it is helpful to have some basic video editing knowledge. This will allow you to create engaging and visually-appealing videos.
It’s also important to be able to promote your channel effectively. This means having a good understanding of social media and other online platforms.
Aside from that, you should be familiar with using tools such as YouTube Studio and Google Adsense.
If you don’t have any experience with video editing or online marketing, don’t worry! There are plenty of resources available that can help you learn the basics. There are plenty of YouTube channels that provide you with just that.
How much money do we need to start a YouTube channel?
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to start a YouTube channel. In fact, you can create high-quality videos with just your smartphone and a few basic editing tools.
However, if you want to produce professional-looking videos, you may need to invest in some additional equipment.
Required equipment for starting a youtube channel
If you’re serious about starting a YouTube channel, you’ll need to invest in some basic equipment. This includes a good camera, lighting, and audio gear.
It’s important to note that you don’t need to spend a fortune on hardware to start a YouTube channel. It can be a good idea to familiarise yourself with content creation and editing before investing in more expensive equipment.
Most smartphone cameras today are more than capable of shooting high-quality video, so you can get started with just your phone. Once you have a better understanding of creating video content, you can consider upgrading your equipment.
As you start to grow your channel and produce more videos, you may want to invest in a better camera. These can include:
- DSLR cameras – These are the best camera for high video quality and photos, and are the most popular type of camera for YouTubers. These are the cameras you see professional photographers use in any photoshoots.
- Mirrorless cameras – These are similar to DSLR cameras, but they’re smaller and lighter. These are a good option if you plan on doing a lot of vlogging or travelling. Do note that they have a shorter battery life compared to DSLR cameras.
Action cameras – These are designed for shooting video in tough environments, making them a good choice for sports and adventure channels. These are super lightweight and can be mounted on helmets or vehicles. A popular brand of action camera is the GoPro camera.
Clear audio is also essential for any YouTube video. While you can get by using the microphone on your smartphone, you may want to invest in a good microphone for better sound quality.
Some popular options include:
- Lavalier microphones – These are small microphones that can be clipped to your shirt or lapel. They’re ideal for vlogging and interviews, as they pick up your voice clearly while filtering out background noise.
- Shotgun microphones – These are larger microphones that can be mounted on your camera or boomed above you. They’re great for vlogging, as they capture sound from all around you.
- USB microphones – These are plug-and-play microphones that connect to your computer via USB. They’re ideal for gaming and podcasting, as they provide clear sound quality with minimal setup.
Once you have your camera and audio gear sorted, it’s time to start thinking about lighting. The amount of light exposure can make a big difference in the quality of your video, so it’s worth investing in some basic lights.
You can find affordable lighting kits online or at your local hardware store. Some examples include:
- Ring lights – These are circular lights that can be mounted on your camera or placed around your subject. They provide even, diffused lighting that is perfect for vlogging and close-up shots.
- Panel lights – These are flat, rectangular lights that can be mounted on a stand or placed around your subject. They’re ideal for illuminating larger areas and can be diffused for soft lighting.
- Softboxes – These are box-shaped lights that can be placed around your subject. They provide a soft, diffused light that is perfect for interviews and product shots by reducing harsh shadows.
Video editing software
Finally, you’ll need a way to edit your videos. If you’re just starting out, you can use a free video editing program like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker. However, these programs can be limited in terms of features and functionality.
For more serious video editing, you’ll need to invest in a paid program like Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro.
How to create a YouTube account and channel
Creating a YouTube channel is simple and only requires a few steps.
- Create a Google account if you don’t already have one.
- Once you’ve signed in, go to your YouTube account settings and click on the “Create a new channel” button.
- Enter your channel’s name and select a category that best describes your content. You can also add an optional description for your channel.
- Now that your channel is created, it’s time to start uploading videos! To upload a video, click on the “Upload” button at the top of the page. Then, select the video file from your computer and click “Open.”
- Once your video is uploaded, you can add a title, description, and tags. You can also choose to keep your video unlisted or private if you don’t want everyone to see it.
- Now that your channel is created and you’ve started uploading videos, it’s time to start thinking about monetisation. There are a few different ways to make money on YouTube, such as through advertising, sponsorships, or product placements.
Tips on creating engaging content
Find a niche YouTube community
The first step to creating engaging content is to find a niche. When you narrow your focus, you can create content that appeals to a specific target audience. This will make it easier to stand out from the crowd and attract viewers who are interested in what you have to say.
It’s also important to be authentic when you’re creating content. Viewers can tell when you’re being genuine, and they’ll appreciate your authenticity.
Some niche examples would be:
- Instructional videos – cooking, makeup, hair, etc
- How to’s
- Product reviews
- Travel vlogs
- Comedy sketches
There are endless possibilities when it comes to finding a niche, so find one that suits your interests and personality.
Be consistent and post regularly
Another important tip for creating engaging content is to be consistent. When you upload videos regularly, your viewers will know when to expect new videos from you. This will help you build a loyal following of viewers who appreciate your content.
If you can’t commit to a regular posting schedule, try to batch film multiple videos and edit them together so that you have a stockpile of content to upload when life gets busy.
Plan your videos ahead of time
One way to ensure that your videos are engaging is to plan them ahead of time. By brainstorming video ideas and creating a content calendar, you can make sure that your videos are both timely and relevant.
Not only will this help you stay on track, but it will also give you time to edit your videos and make sure that they’re the best they can be.
No one’s perfect, so don’t expect your first few videos to be hits. It takes practice to get better at making videos, so keep at it and learn from your mistakes.
Get inspiration from other content creators
One of the best ways to learn how to create engaging content is to study other successful YouTubers. See what they’re doing right and try to emulate their success.
Of course, you should also put your own spin on things so that your content is unique. But there’s nothing wrong with taking inspiration from others.
One of the ways to do so is to search for a video that is related to your niche and look at the comments section. See what people are saying about the video, and use that feedback to improve your own content.
Another way to learn from other YouTubers is to watch their videos and take note of what you like and don’t like. Then, try to incorporate those elements into your own videos.
By studying other successful channels, you can learn what works and what doesn’t. This will help you create better content for your own channel.
Focus on content quality, not quantity
While it can be frustrating to spend so much time creating videos, it’s better to have a small number of high-quality videos than a large number of low-quality ones. Your viewers will appreciate it if you take the time to produce quality content.
Plus, if you focus on creating great content, your channel is more likely to be successful in the long run. Remember, you are building your own brand as a video creator and you need to provide real value to your subscribers.
How to monetise youtube videos
1. Join the YouTube Partner Program to run video ads
You can make money on YouTube by running ads on your videos through the YouTube Partner Program. Ads are served by Google Adsense and generate revenue based on clicks and views.
To run ads on your videos, you will need to have some existing traffic to your channel. This means at least 4000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months, as well as have more than 1000 subscribers on your YouTube channel.
Ads can be a great way to monetise your videos, but they’re not the only option.
2. Use affiliate marketing links in your videos
Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards an affiliate for each successful sale generated by the affiliate’s marketing efforts.
You can embed a unique affiliate link in your YouTube videos to monetise them. When a viewer clicks on the link, they’ll be taken to the affiliate’s website, where they can make a purchase.
If a sale is made, you’ll earn a commission from the affiliate. This is a great way to generate revenue without running ads on your videos.
3. Offer subscription services to your viewers.
If you have a lot of valuable content on your YouTube channel, you may want to offer a subscription service using YouTube Channel Memberships. This is a great way to monetise your channel and give your fans access to exclusive videos that are not available to the public.
4. Create sponsored videos for brands or businesses.
If you have a large following on your YouTube channel, you may be able to create sponsored videos for brands or businesses.
To create sponsored videos, you’ll need to pitch your idea to brands or businesses. If they’re interested, they’ll provide you with a script or topic to make a video about.
Once the video is complete, it will be published on your YouTube channel. The brand or business will then pay you for the video.
How to market your YouTube Channel
There are a number of ways to market your YouTube channel. Below are some tips:
- Create a unique profile picture and cover photo. Having a unique channel art on your YouTube channel will encourage new viewers to subscribe to your channel.
- Create a memorable channel name. A brand name that is easy to remember will help users return to your channel for new content.
- Use social media to promote your videos. Create dedicated social media accounts for your brand so you can interact with your viewers.
- Collaborate with other YouTubers who have a similar audience to yours. This can help you reach a larger audience and improve your visibility.
- Create a website for your channel and include links to your videos. Having your own website will help people find your content even if they’re not on YouTube.
- Run ads. Use the YouTube Partner Program and Google Adsense to promote your video and reach a wider audience. This will cost you money, so it’s best to do this after you have a consistent revenue stream from ad revenue.
How to optimise your YouTube videos
- Use keyword research tools to optimise your video title and video descriptions, so they appear in the search result. Picking good target keywords helps people find your videos more easily.
- Use annotations and cards to promote related videos or encourage viewers to subscribe to your channel.
- Utilise audience data from YouTube Studio and YouTube Analytics to fine-tune your content and find out what your subscribers like. These can include metrics such as your subscriber count, watch time, and audience engagement.
What about YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts is a new feature on YouTube that allows users to create short, engaging videos.
The YouTube Shorts Fund is a $100M initiative by YouTube to encourage creators to make Shorts. Because of the many requirements to be eligible for the fund, it may not be an option for everyone.
But if you are eligible, it’s a great way to monetise your YouTube channel as you can earn revenue from the ads that run on your Shorts.
While you can enable monetization on YouTube shorts, it’s important to note that the revenue potential is currently very low. This is because YouTube Shorts is a new feature and advertisers are not yet interested in running ads on these videos.
This is why we recommend that you don’t focus on YouTube Shorts if you’re looking to monetise your channel. Stick to longer format videos for now and keep an eye on YouTube Shorts as it develops.
How to avoid costly copyright infringement issues
As a content creator, it’s important to be aware of the risks of copyright infringement. Copyright law protects original works of authorship, such as books, movies, music, and art.
If you use someone else’s copyrighted work without permission, you could be liable for damages.
Copyright infringement issues will also reduce the chance for you to earn money on YouTube, as YouTube has strict advertiser-friendly content guidelines.
There are a few ways to avoid copyright infringement issues.
Get permission from the copyright owner before using their work.
If you want to use someone else’s work in your videos, it’s important to get permission from the copyright owner. You can do this by sending a request to the copyright owner or their agent.
Use only public domain or Creative Commons-licensed materials.
It’s also important to use only public domain or Creative Commons-licensed materials in your videos. Public domain works are those that are not protected by copyright law, while Creative Commons-licensed works are those that have been specifically released for reuse and modification.
Transform the copyrighted work into something new and original.
You can also avoid copyright infringement issues by transforming the copyrighted work into something new and original. This is known as fair use. Fair use allows you to use copyrighted material for limited purposes, such as criticism, commentary, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research.
However, fair use is a complex legal doctrine, so it’s important to consult with a lawyer before using someone else’s work in your videos.
Starting a successful YouTube channel takes a lot of hard work, but with the right tips and advice, you can create YouTube videos that resonate with your audience.
Get started today by following the advice in this article, and you’ll be on your way to becoming a YouTube sensation!
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does youtube pay for 1 million views?
This varies based on a number of factors, including the advertiser’s pay-per-view rate, your video topic, and your audience demographics. Generally speaking, you can expect to earn $0.01-$0.03 per view if your videos are ad-supported. A rough estimate would be around $10000 to $30000 per 1 million views.
How many views do you need to get paid by youtube?
You need at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours over the past 12 months to be eligible for the YouTube Partner Program. Once you reach this threshold, you can apply for YouTube monetization on your channel and start earning money from ads.